Monday, February 18, 2013

My first observation note




My first observing note was back in 1983 when I observed total solar eclipse in June 1983 from Ujungpandang (now Makassar), South Sulawesi.
It was a spectacular view which I could never forget in my life. Despite lots of advice to avoid seeing the eclipse with the naked eye, I was able to take series of photos of the solar eclipse with my SLR camera (Olympus OM10, now already retired), equipped with 300mm catadioptric lens from Elicar. 

Total solar eclipse is a rare astronomical event. I was lucky enough to be able to capture this rare event. I was posted in Makassar where path of the total eclipse passed the region, and the sky was relatively clear during the eclipse. Many other places in Indonesia had clouds overhead and the eclipse could not easily be observed.


Here is my note in the English version, with some photos that I was able to make. Enjoy reading!

Notes from observing total solar eclipse

It started since my childhood, I was fond of observing sky objects. I also like photography when I grew up. My eagerness to observe and to take photo of this rare event of natural phenomenon emerged two years before the solar eclipse really took place in June 11, 1983.
However, I was not equipped with sufficient photographic equipment. What can I expect from an automatic SLR camera with standard lens of 50 mm to take a picture of the sun covered by the moon shadow that shows bright prominence?
I then studied several options for optical choice, with budget as a constrain. The astro-photographic equipment was very interesting, but I could not dream of owning 8-in Celestron, for instance. The last choice was catadioptric lens with 300 mm focal length from Elicar, a newly marketed brand, with the lower price, of course. Unfortunately, this lens was not available in Ujungpandang, and I had to order it from Bandung.
Only four days before the event, the lens that I ordered arrived, no time to have a proper test, as the time run out. Despites overwhelmed information regarding the threat of blindness for seeing the sun directly during the eclipse, I was so worried knowing that the neutral density (ND) filter to screen strong sun rays during partial eclipse was not easily obtainable. Reading available literature and following daily news had led me to decide creating filter by my own. I developed black and white film in a full process. After several tests with a number of layers, I finally found the most proper combination and, as a result, the full circle of sun could be seen in the camera window, safely.
The D-day finally came, the day that I was still busy working and, without realizing, the time indicated 11:00 AM, local time. I was shocked when I realized that I found nobody around. I found all the cars were locked and the drivers disappeared. Time was ticking, second by second passed and no one appeared. I had started perspiring, as the first contact time, 11:29:06 was only a few minutes left.
The problem solved when one car passed and the driver was kind enough to take me home, thank so much for the kind driver!
Exactly at 11:48;47 AM, local time, I managed to take the first photo, the sun was already seen not in full circle, it has partially been “eaten” by the moon shadow, the first time-contact had passed. I then pressed the shutter every ten minutes, and every one minute when it closed to the second contact-time.

The air became darker and colder, from the camera window I noticed that the sun was only seen as a thin curve, it was 12:56:47 when I pressed the shutter, where the camera was set at self-timer position. It counted 13 second before the shutter opened, exactly at 12:57:00.
Darkness came, GOD the Greatest. The second contact-time came at 12:57:08, Bailey diamond came out luminously when the filter was removed, and the shutter button was pressed at 12:57:17 without setting self-timer any longer. Several moments passed unconsciously in my respect to GOD. Total solar eclipse was so beautiful and admiring.

For the next several seconds, I pressed the shutter continually until all the films used up, without anymore following the table that had been prepared. Despite, it was too dark to see the table.
The same note could not be made again in the same place until the next solar eclipse which will occur more than 350 years later.
Ujungpandang, June 12, 1983
This note is dedicated to my beloved wife and children.


No comments:

Post a Comment